Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Reflect on Dr. Kapasula’s lecture and text

Mishin Yarik. "Image ID: 633847." 9 Oct 2006. Online image. Stock.xchang. 6 Feb 2010

Until I attended to Dr. Kapasula’s lecture, I even did not know there is an International Women's day. Her lecture was very interesting because she used the song, Single Ladies, as a material to explain her point. Also, since the main point of the lecture was about the feminism, I felt strong connection with The Burital at Thebes. I think the contrast between Single Ladies and King Creon's thought is very interesting.

As we discussed in the class, there are many part that King Creon mentions his hatred toward women. For example,

-"Who does she think
She is? The man in charge?" (31)

-"Listen to him. He's on the woman's side." (45)

Obviously, we can see Creon does not think women and men are equal. However, Single Ladies' lyric says that

・・・・・・・・・

I could care less what you think
I need no permission, did I mention
Dont pay him any attention
Cuz you had your turn
But now you gonna learn
What it really feels like to miss me

Don’t treat me to the things of this world
I’m not that kind of girl
Your love is what I prefer,
what I deserve
He’s a man that makes me then takes me
And delivers me to a destiny, to infinity and beyond
Pull me into your arms
Say I’m the one you own
If you don’t, you’ll be alone
And like a ghost I’ll be gone
All the single ladies Now put your hands up

Beyoncé Knowles. "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)." Single Ladies. Columbia Records, 2008.

・・・・・・・・・

Since this lyric clearly shows her thought of women having the initiative, I felt the contrast between Single Ladies and King Creon's thought is very interesting.
I think that even though it was a usual condition (=order) that women had less chances than men and treated differently in past, it can be changed by the time and can become a wrong condition (=chaos) in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I agree the Beyoncé sings "But now you gonna learn..What it really feels like to miss me"
    which is alluding to chaos

    ReplyDelete